Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Discuss Elliaison Books and Articles » The Unspeakable Gift of the Holy Ghost. » The Fruits of the Spirit (Discuss points related to this chapter.)
The Fruits of the Spirit [message #2196] Sat, 09 February 2013 12:17
JulesGP

I really liked this chapter a lot. So many of us struggle with wondering if we have felt the Spirit, or if we are just being emotional or making it up. This chapter helped clarify something that I believed already - that though the Spirit witnesses knowledge and understanding and truth to us, the FRUITS of receiving that are manifest by emotions: love, gratitude, joy, excitement, hope, faith, satisfaction, patience, peace, acceptance, self-worth, etc. We are reminded of this in Gal. 5:22-23

Quote:
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

So if we are not feeling a "burning in our bosom", I believe we should look for these fruits that come as a result of truth that the Spirit witnesses, and we can learn to better recognize when we are being spoken to by the Spirit of the Lord - because as Elliaison points out in the book:

Quote:
"Because these feelings are good and invite and entice those who feel them to do good, they come from God."

In this chapter, there is this paragraph:

Quote:
The Holy Ghost which "enlightens our minds" & "dwells in our hearts" is always accompanied by positive feelings. In this way, the Holy Ghost will teach you all things. That is the plain and simple way to judge. EVERY TIME!!!

I have personally had witnesses by the Spirit that did not immediately result in the feelings listed above. During those times, I could not deny that I was being taught by the Spirit, and the messages were from God. However, they were not "warm fuzzy" messages; they were uncomfortable warnings that I needed to be given for my good and for my understanding. I experience fear and worry during one of these warnings. I did not immediately feel love, gratitude, joy, excitement, hope, faith, satisfaction, patience, peace, acceptance, or self-worth. However, I still knew the Spirit was speaking to me at that time. Later, I realized that the fear and worry and discomfort was my own doing - and I needed to cast of the "natural man", and exercise TRUST in the Spirit that I knew I had felt, and trust in the Lord. After I resolved this with myself, I experienced gratitude for the warnings and knowledge I was given, made peace with and had acceptance for the understandings I was given, and then could RECOGNIZE the fruits of the Spirit.

~Jules
Previous Topic: The Tongue of Angels
Next Topic: With Ears to Hear and Eyes to See
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 07:50:45 MDT 2024