Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » The Origins of Baptism (Discuss multiple baptisms of the early church and the Jews as well as Christ's Baptism.)
The Origins of Baptism [message #608] Tue, 03 July 2012 05:40 Go to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
In another thread, JulesGP asked:"JulesGP"
Another question I have: So many times in the scriptures, we see the term (or something similar) "repent and be baptized for the remission of sins". Well in the early days of the church (I think Brigham Young started it...), people practiced re-baptism regularly. So is that something that was done in ancient times too? Do we need to be re-baptised for a remission of our sins, or is the Sacrament ordinance sufficient? (I don't mean after excommunication from the church, I mean as an ordinance to be washed clean of our sins.)

Yes, in the early church baptism was performed multiple times for everything from repenting to being sick and wanting to be healed. They did this thinking that the ordinance was magical in some way, as if it "did something" not realizing it was a dead work and they were relying on/putting faith in dead works. This was later stopped and declared unneeded. This also gives insight into D&C 22 which tells us:
Quote:
Wherefore, although a man should be baptized an hundred times it availeth him nothing, for you cannot enter in at the strait gate by the law of Moses, neither by your dead works. - D&C 22:2

The Jews to this day perform what we call baptism. It is a cleansing ritual performed when they endeavor to do a Holy Work. For example, they would get baptized/cleansed before going on a mission or performing a sacred ritual or even before every time they write the name of God.

Putting this into perspective, Jesus being baptized at 33 was part of the Jewish custom in which he was symbolically cleaned before beginning his ministry.

~ Seeker

[Updated on: Tue, 03 July 2012 05:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Origins of Baptism [message #623 is a reply to message #608] Sat, 07 July 2012 23:45 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Seeker
Jesus being baptized at 33 was part of the Jewish custom in which he was symbolically cleaned before beginning his ministry.

This brings new meaning to John the Baptist's statement:
Matt 3:14
I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

Based on Seeker's information (which is new to me), Jesus was likely baptized at age 8, and did NOT have NEED to be baptized at age 30. Did Nephi have a record showing Christ's baptism at age 8? Clearly the scriptures teach us Baptism is a necessary ordinance both to have the act recorded, and to give a memorable allegory for our lives as we leave behind the person we were before.

As for multiple baptisms, the way I understand baptism and the sacrament, they are two forms of essentially the same ordinance. It is one of three key parts of the gospel, and it is the middle part. While the ordinance itself does not literally wash away our sins, it is place between repentance and receiving the Holy Ghost.

The way (baptism) is so simple, that many will not walk it, and they perish. I could spend an hour writing different reasons why God has commanded us to be baptized, but in the end, the most important reason we must do it, is because it IS a commandment.

- Dragon

- Dragon
Previous Topic: Prophecies and Visions
Next Topic: Sin in the Pre-mortal Life/Sin in the Presence of God
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:48:04 MDT 2024